I was blessed to find a brand new blog via Google Alerts when the author, a Baptist Missionary in Africa, Seth Meyers posted the following list of 9 Problems with the Problems of The Prosperity Gospel.
- The prosperity gospel is not the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
- The prosperity gospel urges sinners to commit idolatry.
- The prosperity gospel denies God’s sovereign purposes for pain as revealed in Scripture.
- The prosperity gospel ignores Biblical teaching on wealth.
- The prosperity gospel discourages logical thought about the Bible, a work ethic, sickness, economics, and politics.
- The prosperity gospel requires other heresies to support it such as deification and positive confession.
- The prosperity gospel inoculates people from hearing the truth because they think they already know Gospel.
- The prosperity gospel has never been accepted in the Christian church until the 1980’s.
- The prosperity gospel contradicts the lives of the many godly but poor believers in the Bible and history.
When reading the list, as I got down to point #7, I thought that was the most salient and important point listed yet. After finishing I thought the list was a great start but neglected the most important point and that is the inference drawn in point 7 that because of the Prosperity Gospel some people think they are Christian and saved but they are not because they do not even know the true gospel of Jesus Christ as listed in 1 Corinthians 15:1-4.
So since I felt a need to try and reach some of these people with the true gospel and I have not written an original article for this site in a long time I thought I would use Seth’s list as a starting point for such an article and ask you guys, the readers and subscribers of this blog, to help me write an article. And since I know first hand, from previously running a support group and participating other such support groups for Ex-Word of Faithers, the importance and value of ex-Word of Faithers getting to know other Ex-Word of Faithers – I thought it would be a great idea to have a open thread and discussion about the Problems of the Prosperity Gospel here so that we all might get to interacting with each other and someone who is trying to recover and deprogram from Word of faith teachings would have a chance to get to know others they can confide with. And I hope this post will do just that.
So I am opening Comments on this post asking you to please participate. You can either add a point to the list or expound upon any point already made in the list. And in about two weeks I will spend a couple of hours writing an article based on all we have discussed about the Problems with The Prosperity Gospel. And hopefully it will help others and might even help to get someone saved. I will put some thought into this and start putting my thoughts in the threaded comment section below. I hope you will do the same.
Thanks so much,
And be more blessed,